breaking news New

Staying Hydrated In The Fantastic Weather

Water

With the fantastic weather set to continue through this weekend and beyond, as is traditional here in Ireland for the State Exam season, staying hydrated is something to keep at the forefront of your mind. Dehydration can have some pretty nasty effects on your body, including causing or increasing the severity of headaches, infections or even kidney failure in extreme cases.

As such staying properly hydrated is essential, especially in the kind of fantastic weather that we’re currently enjoying. The recommended intake of water is 2.7 liters per day for women and 3.7 liters per for men. This does vary depending on the weather and general physical activity, so if you’re out and about this weekend you may well need to consume more water.

Now, we’ve all heard that old adage about drinking eight glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. The honest truth is that the eight, eight ounce glasses of water will provide you with your recommended volume of water. However if you do drink those eight glasses along with eating the usual three meals a day you will be imbibing MORE water than you need and could be over hydrating yourself, which can be just as bad for your health as being dehydrated.

For one thing, it is generally estimated that about 20% of your daily water intake comes from the food you eat, with different foods containing more or less water, with water melons and similar foods being almost entirely water by weight. The remaining 80% of your water intake comes from drinks. Contrary to popular belief caffeinated drinks, such as coffee and soft drinks, do help with your hydration, so long as they’re consumed in moderation. Your best bet is, however, water. It’s calorie free, and you can get it everywhere.

Generally speaking, to stay hydrated all you need to do is drink some water when you’re thirsty and drink until you’re no longer thirsty. This won’t always be sufficient however, as some people, especially the more elderly may only feel thirst when already dehydrated. Enjoy the sun and make sure to drink plenty of water.

Written by Brian McGloughlin

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password