Summer Meals: Grilled Flank Steak with Spicy Cucumber Salad
There is only so much time left this summer to enjoy a nice dinner or treat outside and soak in the sun, so over the next few weeks, we have decided share a number of easy and delicious recipes to accompany the last days of the warm weather.
This Korean twist on the classic steak and salad combo will definitely switch up your summer barbecue in a good way.
- 120ml plus 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 120ml rice wine vinegar, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. freshly minced ginger
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 3 tbsp. Sriracha, divided
- 680g flank steak
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large cucumbers, cut lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- Cooked white rice, for serving
1. Boil rice and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Afterwards reduce heat and cover pan. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and season with salt. Top with sesame seeds.
2. Combine 120ml soy sauce, vegetable oil, half of the rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey, 2 tbsps sesame oil, and 2 tbsps Sriracha. Pour half of the sauce over flank steak and marinate for 10 minutes. Save the rest.
3. Make the cucumber salad: mix together remaining rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir in cucumbers and season with salt.
4. Heat a grill to high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper and grill 5 to 6 minutes each side for a medium-rare steak. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Cut slices.
5. Pour meat juices into the remaining sauce and combine. Drizzle steak with sauce. Serve with previously made cucumber salad and rice.
Total Time: 0:40 Prep: 0:30 Serves: 4
By Catherina Arndt