Meal of the Month: Pulled Pork Tacos
Pulled Pork is so versatile, everyone needs a staple recipe in their back pocket. This recipe is ridiculously easy, the ultimate stick it on and forget slow cooker recipe and the best way to get perfect crunchy brown bits while keeping the inside super moist! Get it right every time – this cheap-as-chips recipe is foolproof!
For the pulled pork: In a small bowl, mix together cumin, coriander, salt and oregano. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork roast.
Heat some olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork roast and brown on all sides, for roughly 3 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a slow cooker, add the onion, garlic, chipotle and adobo sauce, beer, and orange zest. Add the browned roast along with any pan juices. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours.
When the pork is cooked and fork tender, shred it using two forks. Add the shredded meat back to the slow cooker and toss with the onions and cooking juices.
Place the pork into the tortillas and serve with desired accompaniments.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup beer, lager
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (1/2 orange)
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 small head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (or lettuce of your choice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Sliced jalapenos
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
Total cooking time: 8 hr 45 min / Active cooking time: 45 min – Serves 6.