breaking news New

“Scarred For Life” Is A Video Highlighting How Easily A Child Can Burn Themselves At Home

“Scarred for Life” is a short video advising parents and guardians to take necessary measures to minimise the risk of chidren burning or scalding themselves at home.

It highlights how easy it is for a child to burn themselves or be scalded and that it can just take seconds for an accident to happen.

Hot appliances, liquids and bath water are some of the main causes of injury to young children who are particularly vulnerable.

The video was launched recently by the Public Health Agency (PHA), in association with local councils in Northern Ireland.

“Scarred for Life” shows a typical busy home and informs people that:

  • Hot drinks can still scald 15 minutes after they’ve been made and can result in years of skin graft treatment. Ensure hot drinks are out of reach of babies and children.
  • Hot water scalds in seconds. Run the cold water first and always check the temperature of bath water.
  • Hair straighteners can get very hot, very quickly and cause serious burns that scar for life. Keep out of the reach of children and put them away safely after use.

Dr Carolyn Harper, Director of Public Health at the PHA said:

“Home accidents can easily be prevented by being aware of the dangers and hazards that are present in the home environment and taking steps to minimise the risks.

“Hot appliances, liquids and bath water are responsible for more than half of all burns and scalds, with young children being particularly vulnerable.

“The video aims to highlight how easy it is for a child to burn themselves or be scalded, and encourages parents and guardians to be aware of the risks and how injuries can be reduced.”

The video is the latest in a series of activities to raise awareness of how quickly accidents can occur in or around the home.


Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password