Strawberry shortcake stack with strawberry coulis
With the weather we have been having the last few days, you could be forgiven in thinking that summer has arrived. There is no better summer cooking ingredient than delicious and juicy strawberry’s. Why not make the most of them while you can and try this summer strawberry dish.
What you will need…
• 4 made shortbread biscuits
• 6 table spoons of double cream whipped until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed, plus 1 tsp extra
• 3 strawberries sliced in half
• 1 table spoon of icing sugar plus extra for dusting
• ½ vanilla pod seeds, scraped out
For the coulis
• 55g/2oz strawberries, hulled
• 1 table spoon of pink champagne
For the orange cream
• 1 table spoon of double cream
• 1 table spoon of orange juice
How to prepare…
1. Place two shortbread biscuits onto a serving plate (secure them to the plate with half a teaspoon of cream underneath).
2. Top each biscuit with three strawberry halves, standing up on their hulled ends.
3. Place the icing sugar, vanilla seeds and whipped cream into a bowl and fold together.
4. Place a spoonful of the cream mixture on top of each of the strawberry layers.
5. Place another shortbread biscuit on top of each layer of cream to create two sandwiches.
6. For the coulis, place the strawberries and the champagne into a small food processor and blend to a smooth sauce.
7. For the orange cream, place the cream and orange juice into a bowl and mix well.
8. To serve, pour the coulis onto the plate around the strawberry shortbread stacks. Place small drops of the orange cream into the coulis around the strawberry shortbread stacks. Drag a toothpick or handle of a teaspoon through each drop of orange cream to create a decorative heart shape.
9. Dust the strawberry shortbread stacks with icing sugar to serve.